Monday, April 7, 2014

I'm peculiar. Are you?

Do you ever feel weird?  Strange?  Different than most people?  I often do.  In the scriptures, such as 1 Peter 2:9, it tells us that we are a "peculiar" people.  My new testament teacher explained that peculiar doesn't mean the same thing in this context as we usually think about it.  He told us that peculiar means purchased.  We are purchased by Christ's infinite atonement.  One thing that really stuck out to me was when my teacher asked me what my price was.  He explained to us that the price of a soul is infinite because it is based on our capacity to become like God.  We have infinite potential.  We are of great worth.  It reminds me of a few other scriptures.  D&C 12:10 says: "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God."  Moses 1:39 says: "For behold, this is my work and my glory -- to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."  God loves us and wants us to return to Him.  It is his work.  He glories in us becoming like him.  So, it makes sense that our worth is infinite and that we would have a loving Savior pay the infinite price for us.  We truly are purchased by Christ.

Not only this, 1 Peter 2:9 tells us that we are chosen and that we have been called out of the darkness into "marvelous light".  How wonderful is that.  Heavenly Father doesn't want us to wander lost in the darkness.  He is calling us to the light and he has shown us the way, through his son, Jesus Christ.  It truly is marvelous!


No comments:

Post a Comment