Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Journaling

So, I want to rant a little about journaling.  First off, keeping a journal is a wonderful thing!  I love being able to write things down that have happened in my life and keep those memories safe.  I like being able to go back and read my journal and have it help me in my life or to be able to see how much I've changed.  It's also nice to know that my posterity will be able to read what I went through and what I thought about.  Those are all great things about journaling.

The problems I have found with keeping a journal is that unless you are on top of writing things down, when you catch up on the things you want to remember, the thoughts are tainted by the knowledge that you have gained since the experience.  This happened to me recently.  I was catching up in my journal, writing the things that had happened recently, but I didn't finish getting to the best parts.  Well, low and behold, later that night something happened that changed my feelings and thoughts.  Now I will never get to catch those exact things down in my journal.

This is really a small problem that could easily be fixed by being good and writing every night, but that is hard.  I guess that I will just have to keep pushing on and doing my best to catch my emotions and feelings before things change.

Another cool thing I wanted to share is the fact that I am almost finished with a journal I started at the beginning of this year!  I haven't finished a journal in years.  It is amazing how nice it is to read it and know that important events from my life will be remembered.  Am I a key figure in the history of tomorrow?  Probably not, but my children will care what I went through and will value the things that I wrote down.  Something else that I think is cool is the fact that through keeping a better journal, it has made me want to go and find my ancestors journals so that I can learn about them and get to know them.  I feel like this is a fulfillment of the prophecy of turning the hearts of the children to their fathers.  It's amazing to feel that in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment