Monday, November 4, 2013

Jesus Wept

One of the most powerful things I have learned this year is the power of love.  This point was kind of hit home when I had a New Testament lesson on John 11:35, which says "Jesus Wept."  This is one of the most powerful verses in the scriptures.  This verse comes in when Jesus was beckoned by the crying Mary and Martha to see where they had laid their dead brother Lazarus.  Christ knew that in a few moments Lazarus would be raised from the dead and that Mary and Martha would be crying for joy instead of sorrow, but he was willing to "mourn with those that mourn".  He loves Mary and Martha and hated to see them so upset.  He was going to take away their sorrow, but first he wept with them because of the great love that he had for them!

Isn't that amazing?  That same love that Christ has for Mary and Martha, he has for you and me! He understands that sometimes we need to cry and feel the emotion, but we are never alone in those feelings of pain or sorrow.  Christ is always there crying with us.

Another point that was made during this lesson, was the fact that to love someone is to be vulnerable.  I hadn't really thought about it in that way, but it is so true!  So often we are afraid to open our hearts to possibilities because it opens us up to be hurt.  This is a valid excuse, but at the same time, opening ourselves up allows us to truly love others and be loved in return.  When I am scared of being hurt by loving someone too much, I remember that if I get hurt, the savior will be there to help me through it and ease the pain. 

Jesus has wept for us and has felt our pain.  This short verse gives so much peace!  I know that my Savior loves me and is willing to comfort me when I stand in need of comfort, and mourn with me when I mourn.  Jesus has wept for me and loves me forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment