Monday, October 28, 2013

"Go, and sin no more."

I was reading John 8 this last week, which has the story of the woman who was caught in adultery and brought before Jesus.  This is a story of Christ's mercy.  It has always been one of my favorite stories in the Bible because I can relate to it so well.

The story starts off with Jesus teaching in the temple during the feast of tabernacles, when the scribes and Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery.  She was thrown at Christ's feet and the scribes told Christ that she had been caught in the very act of adultery, and asked whether thy should stone her, as the law of Moses says,  or not.  Jesus was very calm and composed as he says to them: "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." Everyone starts to quietly leave until Jesus and the woman are alone together.   Jesus lovingly asked her: "Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"(vs. 10) she answers and says that no one is condemning her anymore.  Christ then responds with what I find to be the most important part of the story. He says: "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (vs. 11)

This is such a powerful story of Christ's redemption and love for the people around him.  I can easily see myself in this story.  I have often felt caught in a sin, with people pointing fingers at me, saying that I have done something wrong.  This story reminds me of the power of the atonement in my life.  Especially the last thing the Savior says: "Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more."  Christ doesn't condemn me, even though he has every right to be upset with me for messing up. He has taken my sins upon himself and all he asks is that I forsake my sins.  When we are caught in a trap of sin, the atonement can claim us and make us clean again.  We need to "go, and sin no more."  I love this testimony of mercy and the atonement and love of Christ.  This is a bright ray of hope in my life.  I hope that these thoughts can help you see the love that the Savior and Redeemer has for you as well.  He will not condemn us, he will help us move forward and sin no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment