Monday, October 21, 2013

Will you be my neighbor?

So, last week I was reading in Luke 10 where a lawyer is trying to get Christ to mess up and say the wrong thing by asking Christ, "who is my neighbor?" It is at that point that Jesus tells the lawyer the parable of the good Samaritan.  In this story a man is walking from Jerusalem to Jericho and fell in with thieves and was stripped of his clothing and money and then beaten.  Three people walk past the man: a priest, a Levite, and a Samaritan.  The priest and the Levite should have been the ones to stop and help, but they walk past on the opposite side.  Only the Samaritan stops and helps the man. He binds up the man's wounds and puts clothes on him and takes him to an inn.  After telling this story, Jesus asked the lawyer who he thought was the man's neighbor.  He said that it was the one who had showed mercy.  This ties in very nicely with another scripture that you read in the New Testament. Matthew 14. This is where Jesus just found out that his cousin and friend, John the Baptist had been killed.  Christ wanted to be alone, but a multitude had followed Christ and were asking to be healed.  Jesus was moved with compassion for the multitude, even though Christ was in more pain.  He turned around and healed those whose needs were less than his own.  Christ gave the perfect example of how we need to be an example and have mercy and compassion on those around us.  Everyone is our neighbor, but we don't always treat them as such.  Reading and learning about these stories make me want to be a better person.  To serve those around me, even when I may be in more pain or tougher circumstances, I can help lift others.  It also reminds me of the hymn "Lord I would Follow Thee" where it says "In the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see."  Every single person is struggling with something.  If we would all follow the Savior's example and serve even when we are going through a rough time, we will be able to bless those around us, and be blessed in return.  That's the kind of society I want to live in.  Those are the kind of neighbors I want, ones who will selflessly serve and allow me to serve them in return.  Will you be my neighbor?

No comments:

Post a Comment