Monday, March 10, 2014

Correct Timing

Lately I've been thinking a lot about timing.  How certain things happen at certain times and they need to happen at that specific time.  I've also been thinking about how much I would love to control when things happen.  I want my own timing.  I don't want to wait around for something good to come around, I want it now.  Most people have this attitude about life.  They want to do everything in their own timing.  The interesting thing is that most of what we want are good things.  A good job, a husband (or wife), children, a house, and many other worthy things.

In new testament class this week we learned a little bit about timing and using correct timing.  In Acts 22:18 Paul sees the Jesus Christ and is told to not stay in Jerusalem to teach because the people would not hear his testimony.  Paul wanted to do something good.  He wanted to preach to the people in Jerusalem, but the timing wasn't right.  Knowing that the timing wasn't right helps me to feel a little better about my own experiences where I have wanted something good, but the timing hasn't been right.  God has his timing, it's just a matter of us relying on him and letting him guide us.

In my Stake Conference yesterday, I had this very powerfully taught to me about something good that I've been frustrated with not coming in my own time table.  My stake President got up to address the members of our stake.  He told us that he had changed his topic to be about recognizing and preparing for opportunities for marriage.  This has been on my mind a lot. I finally feel ready to move forward and work on having an eternal family.  I've been doing my fair share of dating around and getting to know lots of different guys, but one thing right after another has not worked out.  I recently broke up with my boyfriend.  He felt like for some reason it wasn't right to be dating me.  It's important for me to remember that having it not work out, doesn't mean that my goals and aspirations to an eternal marriage are not important.  It just means that the timing isn't right yet and I need to follow the Lord's timing.  Paul wasn't able to teach the gospel to the people at Jerusalem, but his goal to preach the gospel was still a worthy one.  The timing and possibly the people weren't right.  Just like for me and my dating life.  I need to put my trust in the Lord that in his timing I will be able to go to the temple and be sealed for time and all eternity.  Plus, it will be so much better when it is at the right time, in the right place, with the right person.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment