Monday, March 24, 2014

So that's how the spirit speaks to me!

Alright, if you're anything like me you sometimes wonder what the spirit sounds like.  How do you know if the feelings you are getting are the spirit or just your own thoughts?  Well, I recently found something that gives me a lot of peace.  2 Timothy 1:7 says: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of peace, and of love, and of a sound mind."  I needed this scripture in my life this semester.  Dealing with certain decisions, I have felt terrified.  Sometimes I felt as if the fear was taking control of my life.  I would sit and wonder if the fear was a sign that I was making the wrong choice, but that never felt right because I've had other experiences pointing that it was the right decision.  So what is a girl (or boy) to do?

The answer I came up with, using this scripture, is that fear doesn't come from God.  Life is full of scary things.  We have to make decisions and they can be extremely frightening, especially when we don't want to mess up.  The good news is that if we're not supposed to go in a certain direction, God won't make us scared of that possibility.  God would give us the peace and the "sound mind" to make the correct decision.  God gently leads us and also lets us make our own choices.  Knowing that God doesn't give me fear helps to me to make better decisions in my life.  It's not going to be easy to remember this, but through practice I know that I will be able to better recognize the hand of the Lord in my life and how the spirit speaks to me because it sure isn't through fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment