Monday, March 3, 2014

Who do you trust?

My thoughts this week are split between two different things that I learned this last week, but surprisingly they work well together.  The first part comes from Romans 1:16 and the second part comes from Romans 8:38-39 in the KJV of the Bible.

Romans 1:16 says "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth...." My new testament teacher told our class something that I absolutely love.  He said that the word "believeth" comes from the greek word "pistoo'-oh" which means to entrust ones well being to another person.  I find that so interesting.  Believing someone means that you are trusting that person with your well being.  It really makes me wonder, who do I trust?  I have been reading Believing Christ and it strikes me as interesting that there is a difference between believing in Christ and believing him.  We need to believe the words he said and the things he taught.  When we do that, we are putting our trust in Christ.  That is what we are supposed to do.  my very favorite scripture is Proverbs 3:5-6 and it says "trust the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and He shall direct thy path." When we believe Christ he cleanses us from sin and directs us to the right path.  We just need to put our trust for our well being in him and he will take care of us. 

Now, that leads me to my second thought.  Romans 8:38-39 In these verses Paul tells us why we should trust the Lord.   He says "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  God loves us.  Christ loves us.  Just like our parents love us and watch out for us.  That's one of the reasons why I trust my parents.  People who love us will watch over and protect us.  That is why we should trust Christ because he loves us.  When we do that we have "the power of God unto salvation" (Romans 1:16).

My wonderful parents who love and support me so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment