Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Know what you want.

Dating.  Isn't it just everyone's favorite thing?  If you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, let me just tell you the plain and simple truth.  Most people that I know dislike dating and the "dating game".  It's not fun trying to get a guy that you like to ask you out.  It's even harder to figure out how fast to take a relationship.  What can you do to show interest without being too forward and also avoid giving the wrong impression to certain guys are all things to think about.  It takes a toll on you emotionally and mentally.

Now, I may be young, but I've had my fair share of dating experiences to have learned a little bit.  What I want to talk about is knowing what you want.  Dating is pointless if you don't know what it is you're searching for from it.  It brings to mind the principle from Alice in Wonderland, where Alice isn't sure which road to take.  The Cheshire cat asks her where it is she's trying to get.  Alice responds that she doesn't know.  To that the Cat replies, that it "then it doesn't matter."   This is very similar for dating.  If you don't know where you want to end up, it really doesn't matter who you date.  If you know what you want, then it definitely does matter!  The type of people you date are the pool of people that you will have to choose from for your eternal companion.  If you know you want a temple marriage, then date people who are worthy to enter the temple.

Knowing what you want is more than that though.  You need to figure out what you want so that you can be careful of other people's hearts.  I want to relate a story about this.  Last year I didn't really know what I wanted from dating.  Was I just dating for fun or was I looking for someone I could start a meaningful relationship with?  I had no idea.  I started hanging out with a great guy in my ward.  He was nice and funny.  We always had a good time together.  Since I wasn't sure about where my life was heading, I was just enjoying the ride.  A little too late I realized that the boy was invested and He wasn't the right guy for me to build a lasting relationship with.  Because I didn't know what I wanted, but kept moving forward, I ended up hurting this guy so much more than if I had known from the start and not let it get too far.   When you are unsure of what you want, be gentle with the people you are dating.  They might know what they want and you moving forward without that knowledge ends up in them getting burned.

Now, I don't mean to discourage moving forward with faith.  If you are praying about things and are not getting any indication that the relationship is wrong, move forward!  Don't hold back because you are not 100% sure that the relationship is going to work.  What I am saying is that your actions should be in accordance with your thoughts and feelings.  You shouldn't kiss someone just because you are afraid of losing that opportunity, while at the same time knowing that you are not ready for a commitment.  Let your actions be honest.

Having said all of this, I urge everyone to pray and ponder and figure out what their goals are for life.  If you are not at a point where you are searching for a meaningful relationship, be honest about that.  You will be so much happier and so will the people you date.  If you feel like you are ready for something more serious, look for that.  Make it a priority, but don't act with more affection than you feel.  That's where I feel the Jane Austen character has it wrong in Pride and Prejudice.  Don't ever act in more reassuring ways than you are feeling.  If it is a good thing that is supposed to happen, you won't lose it by taking your time and letting things grow slowly.

Good luck with all of your dating!  Don't let the "games" get you down.  It's all going to work out.  I hope my advice helps at least a little bit.  Anywho.  "Let the games begin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment